Diane Da Costa on: Dispelling the Myth of Scab Hair and How to Keep it Healthy
There is a major discussion in the community regarding “Scab Hair”and the transitioning process. The terminology, “Scab Hair”can be scary for Transitioning Newbies! Not everyone experiences this so-called period. It all depends on the time-frame you’ve been relaxing your hair and the strength of the relaxer––whether you used fine, medium or super! The Transitioning journey will take Newbies through two stages: the “Residue Hair”stage and the “Regrowth & Regeneration” stage before you can see and feel your true texture!
How has the community described “Scab Hair”? It’s stated that Scab Hair is the hair underneath the scalp that continues to retain residue from the relaxer and continues to grow out above the scalp with hair that is very dry, wirery and lacks moisture. So, as long as your hair is growing out dry, brittle and wirery–– it has been call the “Scab Hair period.”
What are the Facts:
1. Hair that contains relaxer residue or “Residue Hair”can take anywhere from 7 month up to two years to grow out and for your true textureto start growing in without any residue of the relaxer left on the new true texture.
Why does this happen:
If you’ve been relaxing since childhood or even for 10 years or more:
• There is a chemical residue of the sodium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide that builds up in your pores, scalp and follicles.
• The residue can take anywhere from 7 months to two years to completely dissipate from the body.
• “Residue Hair” grows out while your new hair grows in, even after you do the big chop or slowly transition. Every person’s experience is different.
2. The word, “Scab” in medical terminology refers to the dried skin that forms over a wound to protect the skin, while the healing process takes place.
What are Scalp Scabs & Scars:
Scabs are usually the result of relaxing the scalp & over-processing the hair.
• This causes itching, tightness and inflammation of the scalp––sometimes to the degree of a chemical burn.
• The relaxing process is used solely to soften, loosen or smooth out the hair texture (cuticle) and NEVERto relax the scalp! Unfortunately, this happens all the time. Now the skin cells are burnt and scarred.
• Burning the scalp leaves a scab on the scalp,then it heals and eventually peal offs.
• Scabbing and scarring can create hair loss, permanent alopecia and even density loss or thinness leaving wide spaces on the head. You’ll see the wider spaces when you part your hair.
3. While some might refer to this hair as “The Scab Hair”period, it’s really the time of
Regrowth and Regenerationof new hair.
• Regrowth is a time when the old residue hair is growing out
• Regenerationis a time when the new hair without residue is growing in or Regenerating.This process can take up to 2 years for your true texture to start growing in healthier, smoother, softer, curlier and coily!
The GOOD NEWS!
understands keeping the scalp healthy during the hair regrowth and regeneration period is the most important time to cultivate and maintain a healthy scalp and hair. The 3-Step Transitioning Kit, (Transitioning 123
)is specifically designed to assist women through out the entire transitioning journey, whether you decide to do “The Big Chop, Short or Long Grow-Out.” So, even if you’re thinking about transitioning you can start the process. Then, once you’ve started growing any new hair, you can continue with the kit as you cultivate and nourish your hair.
How it Works: Cleanse, Detoxify and Moisturize:
• Step 1:Cleanse the Scalp and Hair.
Apply purifying Low-Lather Cleanser,which contains coconut water that mildly cleanses and hydrates the hair.
• Step 2: Detoxify the Scalp.
Renewing Scalp Spray is a very important step that visibly detoxifies and exfoliates the scalp from relaxer residue. This tonic lifts unwanted dead cells from the scalp using sugar extracts, leaving it healthy and manageable.
• STEP 3:Moisturize the Hair:
The Restoring Anti-Breakage Treatment contains Murumuru Seed Butter,a deep hydrating and repairing butter that is moisturizing enough to soften the new growth and repairing enough to prevent breakage at the point of demarcation––the joining point where the new natural hair texture meets the relaxed and/or over processed hair texture.
Best of All!The Transitioning 123 Kit
contains Biotin Vitamins, which strengthens and increases hair growth.
• If you take a daily supplement of Biotin Vitamins your hair gets nourished from the inside––As you apply the Transitioning 123 Kit,
you protect your hair on the outside!
HAVE A QUESTION FOR ONE OF OUR EXPERTS? ASK IT HERE.